YULE LOG CAKE | CHRISTMAS LOG CAKE
Yule Log Christmas Cake, Buche de Noel, Vertical Sponge Cake
- SPONGE CAKE SHEET
I’m using a 33x33cm flat pan
4 egg yolks
30g [2 tbsp] fine sugar
48g [3 ½ tbsp] oil
40ml [3 tbsp] milk
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
72g [½ cup + 2 tbsp]
4 egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
50g [¼ cup] fine sugar
- MOCHA CREAM CREAM FROSTING
75g [½ cup] chocolate melts
75g [¼ cup + 1 tbsp] whipping cream
2 tsp instant coffee
1 tbsp hot water
170g [¾ cup] unsalted butter, softened
60g [½ cup] powdered sugar
340g [1½ cup] cream cheese, softened
• SYRUP: coffee syrup [2 tsp coffee + 1 tbsp sugar + 2 tbsp hot water]
• DECO: Almond flakes and rosemary
• POWDERED SUGAR FOR DUSTING
SPONGE CAKE SHEET
- Preheat oven at 160°C/320°F.
- Separate the eggs in 2 large bowls.
- In the yolk bowl, add sugar. Mix vigorously until creamy and pale.
- Add in the oil, milk, vanilla and salt. Mix vigorously until well combined.
- Sift in the flour batches. Whisk gently until combined, do not over mix. Set aside.
- In the egg white bowl, add the cream of tartar. With an electric mixer, mix on low for few seconds until foamy. Add in the sugar in 3 batches. Continue mixing on high while adding the sugar until stiff peaks formed.
- Fold the egg whites into the yolk batter in 3 batches. Fold in gently in a circular motion until the white disappear. Add another batch and continue folding in with the whisk. Towards the end, switch to a spatula to scrape the bowl to unsure even mixing.
- Transfer batter into a 33x33cm flat pan, greased and lined with parchment paper. Use a spatula to spread the batter evenly. Tap the pan few times on the table.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160°C/320°F for 25-30 min or until inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely before slicing.
- Once cool, measure and cut 4 equal horizontal sheets. At the end of the last sheet, trim off the edge 45° angle (for sealing purpose)
MOCHA CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- In a small bowl, add the chocolate melts and whipping cream. Microwave a few seconds until the chocolate in melting stage. Mix until smooth and well combined. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add coffee and hot water. Mix until well dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the softened butter. Mix until creamy.
- Sift in the powdered sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the coffee and chocolate mixture. Mix until well combined.
- In another bowl, add the cream cheese. Use a spatula to mash and make sure it is softened.
- Add the cream cheese into the mixture (butter coffee and chocolate). Mix until well combined. Make sure there is no lumps.
ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
- Brush the coffee syrup on the cake sheets.
- Spread the frosting with a spatula. Spread evenly.
- Gently roll up each horizontal pieces, connecting to each other. Roll until the 2nd piece. You’ll probably find it hard to continue as the roll is getting bigger.
- Place the rolled cake on the cake plate. Continue rolling with the other 2 sheets.
- Seal the end with frosting. Fasten it with a plastic sheet. Refrigerate the cake for about 30 minutes so that the cake is tight and stable.
- Frost around the cake.
- Use a pointed tool (I’m using a pointed chopstick) to draw log grain lines.
- Use some almond flakes to decorate as the log fungus.
- Decorate the top with rosemary leaves.
- Dust the cake with powdered sugar.
- Refrigerate the cake before cutting.
- Cake is ready to serve.